As I do at the end of each year, we take the Top 100 selling songs of the previous year and look for patterns on what’s making a song a hit. Some of our findings for this year:
- The average length of a song intro continues to be 7.1 seconds long
- 71% of the intros in 2011 were under 10 seconds long
- Over 1 out of 4 intros were zero seconds long
- The average tempo for a song was 101 BPM
- Despite feeling like the charts are beat driven, 54% of the top sellers were 100 BPM or less
Rather than write a lot of words, I figured it’s best to show you the rest in a very snazzy infographic, courtesy of my new friends at Killer Infographics. Enjoy!